Book on Bash

Ken Burtch kburtch-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 27 21:43:59 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 20:42 +0000, Christopher Browne wrote:
> On 3/27/06, Neil Watson <tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > I'm looking for a good book on BASH.  Titles on my short list:
> >
> > Learning the Bash shell, ISBN: 0596009658
> > From Bash to Z Shell: Conquering the Command Line, ISBN: 1590593766
> > Linux Shell Scripting with Bash, SBN: 0672326426
> >
> > Can anyone offer reviews or other recommendations?
>
> I have the latter two...
>
> "From Bash to Z Shell" is really particularly good if you're
> interested in zsh.  It's the only book on the market with decent zsh
> coverage.
>
> If what you're after is Bash, Ken Burtch's book is pretty good.  It's
> a bit weak on the "wild globbing" (which is what zsh is really famed
> for), but decently motivates usage of Bash for scripting a variety of
> kinds of activities.  That's the Bash reference I keep handy...

Ah, you and you're crazy globbing. :-)  If you mean custom command
completions, that's zsh's specialty.  Maybe more coverage in the next
edition.  The problem with completions is I haven't found a lot of
examples on the web nor have I needed it personally.  It's hard to think
of practical examples to show its usefulness.

KB

Ken O. Burtch                                     Phone: 905-562-0848
Author "Linux Shell Scripting with Bash"            Fax: 905-562-0848
http://www.pegasoft.ca                            Email: ken-8VyUGRzHQ8IsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org