local store with ADSL filters, cheap?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 25 19:27:28 UTC 2006

I'm setting up Sympatico ADSL in a house with a lot of phones.  For
each phone you need to place a filter between the phone and the jack.
Sympatico includes four filters in the kit.

I need a few extra filters.  The ADSL modem has to be turned off if
the unfiltered phones are to be used -- otherwise (a) there is a
screach on the phone and (b) the internet connection gets dropped).
Even if an unfiltered phone isn't being used ("off hook"), it
supposedly reduces the achievable ADSL bandwidth.

The Sympatico person could not order extra filters for me because my
account was in some transition state that the ordering system didn't
like.  When I do order them, they will cost 7.95 each plus shipping
and handling (I think).  The delay would be annoying.

Does anyone know a good place to buy filters?  I would prefer to pick
them up now rather than order them (I don't want to pay for delivery
and I don't want to wait).  Very few places seem to sell filters.

Here's what I've found via google:

- ATS http://www.ats-systems.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=1340537
  + 2.95 each
  + $9.95 delivery (if order is under $100), "next day"
  + cannot pick up, even though they are in Toronto

- New Angle
   http://cgi.ebay.ca/Lot-50-ADSL-DSL-modem-phone-line-filters-Q-TY_W0QQitemZ9702990436QQcategoryZ73318QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

  + 50 filters, mixed condition, under C$50
  + US$11 Shipping and Handling
  + cannot pick up, even though they are in Oakville

- Expansys http://www.expansys.ca/product.asp?code=112634&sbadd=112635
  + $4.95 each
  + $26.00 shipping (UPS standard)

-celtech-5B4nrvX5xvI at public.gmane.org
  http://www.buysell.com/root/detail/Ontario/Computer_Modems_amp_Networking/726/7/49055349/ALCATEL_SPEEDSTREAM_EFFICIENT_NETWORKS.aspx
  + $5.00 each
  + perhaps a private sale.  Unknown quantity available.

- Greytech (My current first choice)
  http://www.accountwizard.com/clients/shop.asp?Web=greytech&AW_SessionID=AWEngine2006000001056555915159155k15k915dId5k15k915eSite2e42d642N&page=item&itemid=2012

  + $3.95 (according to their web store)
  + local store (Markham)
  + not open weekends.  Was closed yesterday too ("for renovations")