Question about plotting graphs in Gnumeric

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 21 06:24:53 UTC 2006

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 10:32:54PM -0800, Christopher Browne wrote

> I can't agree on the "hard-coded Java dependancy."  I have had 1.1
> installed on various systems which have NO Java on them, and the one
> place I have 1.2, I also don't have Java, at least, not in a place
> where OO.o would detect it.

  Well, I did say... "Last time I looked".  See...
http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/03/22/204244

=> To understand the issues, it is important to know exactly what
=> functionality depends on Java. As of version 1.1.4, the features
=> that required a JRE were:
=>
=>   * Accessibility tools, such as the Gnopernicus Screen Reader and
=>     Magnifier and the GNOME On-Screen Keyboard
=>   * The Report Autopilot
=>   * JDBC driver support for Java-based databases
=>   * XSLT filters
=>   * BeanShell, the Netbeans scripting language, and the Java UNO bridge
=>   * Export filters to the Aportis.doc (.pdb) format for the Palm or
=>     Pocket Word (.psw) format for the Pocket PC
=>
=> While some OpenOffice.org members expressed concern about Java
=> being used at all, most accepted the argument that these features
=> did not affect core functionality, and were of interest to only a
=> small minority of users.
=>
=> OpenOffice.org leaders are still making this argument about version
=> 2.0. However, in version 2.0, the dependence on Java has grown. In
=> addition to the Java-dependent features in earlier versions, 2.0
=> requires a JRE for:
=>
=>   * Base, the new Access-like database application
=>   * The media player, which adds movie and sound clips to documents
=>   * Mail merges to e-mail, which also require Java Mail
=>   * All document wizards in Writer
=>
=> Although some could argue that basic office functionality continues
=> to be unaffected, anyone claiming that most users do not need Java
=> in 2.0 may be stretching the point.

  Richard Stallman was talking about a fork.  There has been compromise
on both sides, however.  FSF and OpenOffice.Org are moving to a codebase
which will work with GCJ as well as with Java.  See...
http://www.fsf.org/news/open-office-java.html for details.

  Apparently, it was a "culture" thing.  The Sun people who worked OO
had gotten to the point where they needed to use Java code to go to the
bathroom.  Outsiders, me included, drew a worst-case-scenario inference
about deliberate conspiracies.

  I don't know if it's OO or the decision of the Gentoo OO ebuild
maintainer, but building from  source still requires sys-libs/pam,
dev-perl/Compress-Zlib, dev-perl/Archive-Zip, net-print/cups,
x11-libs/startup-notification, and app-shells/tcsh.  Meanwhile,
openoffice-bin can simply be dropped in and run.  Thanks for making me
look at it; I'll give it a try.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca