LoneCoder: Keeping Up To Date with Unison

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 15 18:37:32 UTC 2006

On 3/15/06, Ken Burtch <kburtch-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I've just posted my Linux column for this month.  It contains a review
> of the Unison file synchronization tool.  There is also a
> follow-up last month's Google ethics column.  I encourage people to put
> their comments on the Linux Cafe forum and not on the TLUG list.
>
> http://www.pegasoft.ca/coder/coder_march_2006.html

Unison is absolutely an awesome tool...

Best thing ever written in Objective CAML, for sure.

I use it to:

a) Backup my mail from my main mail server to a backup server.  As
well as various configuration that lives on both those servers

b) Deploy web site updates *incrementally*.  When I update my site,
every page generally does get touched (which with other tools would
mean copying the whole file), but most pages are only touched in minor
ways.  Unison saves a whack of bandwidth.

Furthermore, my web pages take a circuitous path: From master
directory to a "target" directory, on the master, then from that
target, to my firewall box.  Then from my firewall box to a machine at
work.  Then from that machine to the web server.  Unison "just handles
that."

c) Synchronize Planner records between various locations.

I [HEART] Unison...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)