partitioning new installation

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 9 22:35:05 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 05:08:53PM -0500, wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org wrote:
> Okay, so let's say I typically have two LVs on one VG; one for / and one from
> /home as that's the way I would usually partition.  Now, when I go to reinstall
> the OS, will I be able to simply install to / leaving /home unaffected?

If the installer recognizes LVM devices, and you can explain to it which
parts go into which VG (I think that information is stored in the PV
blocks), then technically that should be fine.  No idea why it matters
though, given I never reinstall, I upgrade.  That is the Debian way.
Got one system going strong after 7 years of doing it that way.  Still
runs as well as a freshly installed machine.

> Finally, when creating a new VG from existing partitions, is it possible to keep
> the data on those partitions and use that data in a new LV (ending up with
> essentially the same structure, only now with LVM)?

No.  I am sure someone could write a specialized tool to do so, but at
this time, I am not aware of one.

Len Sorensen