partitioning new installation

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 10 14:28:25 UTC 2006

wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org writes:

> I'm curious about LVM as I should be doing a reinstall soon.  I understand
> that that LVM maps physical entities to appear as one or many different
> volumes which don't neccessarily reflect the geometry of the physical.
> What I don't understand is when you say resizing the volumes is easy.  Does
> it make in simpler because you can grow an LVM over existing, formated
> space?  Or shrink it and create a new volume on the newly freed space?
>
> What I'm really getting at is what has to happen underneath the LVMs.  Do
> you already have to have a fixed chunk formated as an LVM compatible
> filesystem and then build on top of only that?

Lennart has already answered the above nicely but he missed this:

> If I have an NTFS partition and then ext3 partitions with LVM on top and I
> want to give some space from NTFS to ext3, is that possible?  What steps
> would be involved in doing that?

Windows has its own form of volume management. Linux cannot use Windows
volume management and Windows cannot use Linux LVM. Given that VMware Server
is now free and most desktop computers are faster than they need to be, I
suggest dedicating your system to Linux and running VMware for Windows. If
you install Samba on Linux, you can put all your files on a robust Linux file
system and still access them from within Windows.

On a related note, FreeBSD also has its own implementation of volume
management. It's unfortunate that there's no cooperation between Linux and
FreeBSD in this regard.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada