OT: Asus laptop wasBytecc 2.5" External Drive Enclosure - bus power supplies enough juice?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 8 22:18:35 UTC 2006

>> I'm somewhat put off by Acer because they are owned by Benq

IIRC the opposite is the case; Benq is Acer's consumer peripherals
division/brand.

There are a couple of good sites for laptop reviews. Since so many of
them have similar specs and components -- and so many are Linux
compatible these days -- checking out mainstream review sites such as
cnet.com and laptopmag.com is often a good idea.

In my experience, many laptops will work, the main areas where things go
wrong with Linux are:

- video (weird resolutions or unsupported chipsets)
- unusual peripherals (such as onboard cameras, docking stations or
enhanced pointing devices)
- winmodems (well, most laptops have problems with that)

HTH,

- Evan