OT: Asus laptop wasBytecc 2.5" External Drive Enclosure - bus power supplies enough juice?

Meng Cheah meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 8 21:59:19 UTC 2006

Jamon Camisso wrote:

> I agonized over which to purchase last year around this time. I've
> been using an ASUS M6BNe (15.4" screen vs. the M6Ne which is 15" IIRC)
> for a year now and have to say it was likely the best laptop I could
> have purchased for my needs and my money. One major feature is the
> extended warranty that Asus offers. I'm rather hard on my equipment,
> so to have a 3 year warranty on a laptop made/makes sense since I
> definitely don't have the money to buy a new unit every year or two.
>
> I'm somewhat put off by Acer because they are owned by Benq I think,
> and even when they were their own company I was not impressed with the
> quality of their hardware. This has likely changed for the better
> however, since I think that most laptops and their generic components
> are manufactured by 3 major OEM companies in China and Korea.
>
> In short -- either brand will likely work and work very well. Check
> the Ubuntu laptop pages to see if the models you are looking at are
> supported (by Ubuntu). Likely other distributions will be supported as
> well, I'm just an Ubuntu user (after being a longtime Gentoo fanatic)
> so this is the resource that immediately comes to mind. I'm sure there
> are others.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportMachinesLaptops
>
> Breezy is the distribution to check, as Dapper is the current alpha
> test version (if you aren't familiar with the Ubuntu distribution).
>
> Hope this helps? Sort of vague and ASUS biased, but I don't have the
> money to have more than 1 laptop...

Thanks for the Ububtu links (but https?). I'm looking at Acer and Asus
because they have some cheaper models and as most laptops are made by
the few speciality OEMs in Asia... Glad to hear of your positive
experience.

> As to the videocard (yes I remember), I didn't purchase one for
> Christmas as I was saving up for a trip to Haiti, but since I got to
> Miami only to have all flights to Haiti canceled, I'm just waiting for
> my refund until I hit up Filtech for an Nvidia 6800GS.

Bummer. Has the internet thin-client setup been cancelled or someone
else set it up?
Would have been fun.

Thanks.