[OT] Kevin Mitnick film

Ken Burtch kburtch-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 6 15:34:15 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 07:16 -0500, Paul King wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am sure that other people on this list saw this Emmanuel Goldstein/2600
> production of the arrest and jailing of Kevin Mitnick. To register my opinion (if
> anyone cares :-)), I thought I would say that if those things he said were true,
> I don't think the main characters of the film garners my sympathy. At one point
> in the film, the crew is standing out in the Sun Microsystems parking lot, trying
> to phone in. They are scrambling for an alternate phone number, they complain
> about not being able to access the Web to get the phone number. No-one thinks
> about using the yellow pages.

It's a movie so I expect some artistic license.  The Mitnick affair has
been debated ever since the book "Cyberpunk" came under fire for
twisting the facts about Mitnick and his friends to make a better read.
However, to the movie's credit, I believe these events happened before
the Web, or at least in the very early days, so not using the Web to get
the phone number is probably accurate.

KB

Ken O. Burtch                                     Phone: 905-562-0848
Author "Linux Shell Scripting with Bash"            Fax: 905-562-0848
http://www.pegasoft.ca                            Email: ken-8VyUGRzHQ8IsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org