[OT] Kevin Mitnick film

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 6 12:16:09 UTC 2006

Hello

I am sure that other people on this list saw this Emmanuel Goldstein/2600
production of the arrest and jailing of Kevin Mitnick. To register my opinion (if
anyone cares :-)), I thought I would say that if those things he said were true,
I don't think the main characters of the film garners my sympathy. At one point
in the film, the crew is standing out in the Sun Microsystems parking lot, trying
to phone in. They are scrambling for an alternate phone number, they complain
about not being able to access the Web to get the phone number. No-one thinks
about using the yellow pages.

Also, the idea of scruffy-looking people going to corporate offices to advocate
for a friend who is suffering in prison (if we agree that his reasons for being
there are unjust), is bad advocacy. I don't think I would want the kind of
friends that are more concerned about making a statement -- by appearing scruffy
(let's face it, you have to play the game the corporate way if you want anything
from them and clean up your appearance), or even by bringing a camera into
lobbies and offices without permission (what do they think they are doing?) than
about freeing their friend from prison -- a cause which should have been ahead of
the making of the documentary. This is unbelievably immature.

Paul King