List etiquette

Ian Zimmerman nobrowser-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 4 14:45:21 UTC 2006

Paul> I am not yet familiar enough with my other emailer, Ximian
Paul> Evolution, to see where or how it auto-sorts mail into individual
Paul> mailboxes. I get in excess of 70 emails daily, and don't have time
Paul> to hand-sort or delete all this (this is my current situation
Paul> under Evolution). TLUG list emails are kept in their entirety as a
Paul> reference, as are other mailing list email. One-quarter of what I
Paul> get is spam, and Pegasus is pretty good at rooting it out and
Paul> deleting it into a trash folder (so I can see that it did it right
Paul> -- it hasn't been wrong yet), which permanently deletes the spam
Paul> when I exit the program. Another thing I like about Pegasus, is
Paul> that it is smart enough to detect foreign character sets (given a
Paul> very simple filter setting) such as Korean, Cyrillic or Chinese,
Paul> and automatically place them in the trash.

Pretty much any current Unix mailer will let you do all the above.

Paul> As for "@localhost" in the Message-Id header, I don't know what to
Paul> say about that. First time I've noticed it.

It happens consistently with your posts from Windows (last 10 or so).
It is very wrong, and because it's Windows I don't know how to fix it.
That's why I am tempted to set a filter directing such posts to
/dev/null.

And this particular post of yours also has wrong References.  It only
References your original, not my reply, though the In-Reply-To is
correct.  IOW, Pegasus did just what I wrote in my other posts about old
versions of Eudora.

Some of your other posts by Pegasus don't have References.  You'd be
better off telling Pegasus not to insert References, if you can figure
out how.  Unlike the localhost thing --- which is a general system
configuration issue --- this is just a plain bug in Pegasus, please
complain.  Or switch to a Unix mailer.  Really.  Please.

--
A true pessimist won't be discouraged by a little success.