TOC Linux

Angelina Carlton brat-J4oS66wZXds at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 3 16:24:23 UTC 2006

Rick Tomaschuk <rickl-ZACYGPecefkm4kRHVhTciCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> writes:
> I agree completely. The majority of users from a technical point of view
> are largely brain dead and from a company perspective this is generally
> preferred. All managers and users want to know is what icon to click on
> and how to use their applications. Computers are tools in the office. Do
> you need a course to use a calculator? Generally no. The costs for
> retraining are for support staff. Has anyone attend seminars on window$
> secruity? I have. window$ has become more complex than UNIX. As window$
> support costs spiral out of control due to the increasing complexity of
> the product, UNIX/Linux looks more attractive due to its stability.

I see a couple of things in this quote that reflects the IT dept in my
company. First off, a computer is considerably more complex than a
calculator so I cannot understand this analogy at all and am
surprised that some one in IT would draw such a conclusion.

A CNC machine is also a tool, I doubt its users just jump in there with no
training either. Training can be very powerful, useful and time-saving, even
if its training in IE and Excel.

Secondly, even from a technical point of view, the majority users are not
brain dead. Just because my job involves accounts and materials and
contracts does not mean I am incapable of learning a programming
language or recompiling a kernel.

The majority of users are more likely on par intelligence wise with
anyone of their colleagues in IT.

If I am to be "trained" by someone who perceived me as brain dead then I
have no interest in learning from them.

--
-----Angelina Carlton-----
orchid on irc.freenode.net