USB memory stick: what brand, model is best?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 1 18:53:03 UTC 2006

On 3/1/06, Kevin Cozens <kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> You can boot DSL from a USB memory stick without the use of a floppy disk.
> I know because I have done it when I was testing out small Linux distros as
> part of a project I was working on for a client.

I booted Debian for AMD64 from a USB memory stick the last time I
built a system.  I hadn't bought a floppy drive for the machine, and
burning little CDs seemed much more trouble than it was worth.

Tossing the initial image onto a USB stick worked out fine, getting me
as far as getting the network working, at which point it could
bootstrap off a Debian mirror...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)