USB memory stick: what brand, model is best?

Kevin Cozens kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 1 18:33:57 UTC 2006

verbum-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> Awkwardly, I don't have any experience with USB memory sticks,
> and SOME caution evidently has to be exercised when shopping;
[snip]
> Can anyone make a shopping recommendation?

I have used Intelli Sticks (256 and 512Meg versions IIRC), some Lexar(?)
USB sticks (the ones that come in orange, green, and red cases based on
their size), and a third version (unfortunately can't remember their name
right now). I have booted Linux from all the above types with no problems.

I have tried a pair of 512Meg PNY Attache memory sticks. Experience with
them so far says to stay away from them.

> On February 19, 2006 10:05 pm, Daniel Armstrong wrote:
> Damn Small Linux ( http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ ) is a 50mb Live CD, that
> can create a boot floppy that then boots from a USB.

You can boot DSL from a USB memory stick without the use of a floppy disk.
I know because I have done it when I was testing out small Linux distros as
part of a project I was working on for a client.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.interlog.com/~kcozens/ |"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172        |"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus: