syslog.conf network messages

Jose jose-vS8X3Ji+8Wg6e3DpGhMbh2oLBQzVVOGK at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 29 20:57:29 UTC 2006

Robin Humble wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 03:06:07PM -0400, Jose wrote:
>
>> I've been looking at the man pages for syslog.conf, and I need to start
>> tracing the messages divided by services and more importantly by device
>> (network cards, drives, etc), but I am not sure how to do this.
>>

> syslog isn't really meant to be a per-device mechanism.
> its facility/priority stuff is also kinda obscure and not super-useful
> IMHO.
>
> what sort of messages are you expecting from NICs and drives anyway?
>
> for drives we use smartd which can email when there are problems.
> the kernel driver for the NICs will mostly use printk/DPRINTK or
> similar and so will get thrown in with all the other kernel messages.
>
> there are also montoring systems like ganglia and nagios
>
> overall I'd suggest just using tail -f and grep on an existing syslog
> file. if you have lots of machines then you can centralise the syslog
> data as well as keeping local copies. eg. put
>   *.info @192.168.some.ip
> at the end of syslog.conf, and start syslogd on the server with -r.
> that minimises the number of files that you need to monitor for
> unusual activity.
>
> cheers,
> robin

Basically, we need to create a mechanism that would allow us to strip
down messages coming in, may be on a daily basis according to the device
in a different log file, so I thought that I could configure using
syslog.conf to enforce it to catch the messages by device and pointing
them to different files maybe using the local*, but I am not sure if
this is possible at all.

Any advice

Thanks again for your time