OT: Big Brother watching you surf?

Meng Cheah meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 28 20:01:27 UTC 2006

Rick Tomaschuk wrote:

>I understand it's part of that 'freedom' thing we keep hearing about.
>The freedom to do as you are told by Mayflower babies, Dukes, Earls, and
>so on ... ;). But seriously if you have nothing to hide...at some levels
>who cares. Just don't outline ALL your business secrets online.
>
>RickT
>http://www.TorontoNUI.ca
>
>For the big words see 'dictionary.com'

It's not that you have something to hide :-)
but to have control of access to your own information, among other things.

This, like most issues, is not black and white and I have no answers :-)

Take Psiphon for example. Psiphon is part of the CiviSec Project run by
the Citizen Lab at the Munk Centre for International Studies at the
University of Toronto. The CiviSec Project is funded by the Open Society
Institute.

 From http://psiphon.civisec.org/
*What is Psiphon?*
Psiphon is a censorship circumvention solution allowing users to access
blocked sites in countries where the Internet is censored. Psiphon turns
a regular home computer into a personal, encrypted server capable of
retrieving and displaying web pages anywhere.

*Who will use Psiphon?*
Psiphon operates through networks of trust. There are Psiphon providers,
who install and run the server in an uncensored country and Psiphon
users who login and access the server from a country that censors the
Internet.

Can't this be also used by pedophiles among others?