How can we help?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 28 14:48:56 UTC 2006

On 6/28/06, alain.maisonneuve_lists-QX23z+6opsUOxlH4FaG5hA at public.gmane.org
<alain.maisonneuve_lists-QX23z+6opsUOxlH4FaG5hA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I believe that a once a month install fest is a fantastic idea. More
> often then
> that would be a bit of over kill.. it would be a great learning
> opportunity for
> eveyone.
>
> I would volunteer to help do install for sure.

There's something strange about Toronto, or something.

The last installfest was last summer, and it attracted exactly zero
outsiders, despite what looked like pretty decent publicity.

Discussion suggested that the root of it is likely to be the issue of
transportation.  The GTA is a strange place, in that regard:
 - We have a large central section which has pretty good subway service.
 - As a result of that, there is a downright rabid group of members who
   don't even want to *hear* about things that aren't on the subway line.
   "Cars evil," and such like.  (I'm not saying everyone's like this, but there
   is a loud minority...)

But this is TOTALLY incompatible with the notion of an InstallFest,
which requires that a diverse group of non-Linux-fanatics find it
*easy* to transport their computers.  THAT mandates being in a place
where it's easy to get by car.

Frankly, that's somewhat incompatible with Toronto.  Toronto has no
central place that is easy to get to by car.  There are places that
are easy to get to by car; they are not central.  There are places
that are central; they are not "car-convenient."

There's probably better luck to be had in smaller cities where it's
easy to get anywhere by car.

Find a place that's central, around Toronto, that is quick to get to
by car, that offers free parking, and you've got the place where an
InstallFest may work.  Unfortunately, I suspect that to fit the bill,
you'll have to go to Waterloo...
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.