Installfests?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 28 16:00:53 UTC 2006

Christopher Browne wrote:

> The last installfest was last summer, and it attracted exactly zero
> outsiders, despite what looked like pretty decent publicity.

Christopher makes some good points, but I think there's far more to the
issue than transportation.

A decade ago, installfests were *really* necessary. Linux wasn't easy to
install, a lot of care was needed to determine what kind of hardware
would work and what wouldn't, and there weren't specialized
distributions finely tuned for old or underpowered or oddball (ie. PS/2)
systems.

The current situation is very different. Most install-time hardware
available today is well supported by Linux and almost all of it is
auto-detected. Distros such as Xandros, Linspire and PCLinuxOS cater to
newcomers. Live CDs pioneered by Knoppix allow people to easily find out
how well their system is supported *before* doing an install. The number
of Linux books, articles has skyrocketed, even in the mainstream IT
media. And there are better DIY sites and distributions for people using
Linux to breathe new life into old hardware.

In other words, I would submit that utility of the installfest has
peaked. There is still a need for it, but the need is far less than it
used to be. At a technical level, Linux simply isn't as intimidating any
more.

IMO this requires an examination of tactics -- if not the installfest
(or the installfest alone), then what? I would suggest that newcomers to
Linux need more than handholding at install time, indeed they need to be
better armed before even deciding to install.

Consider an event that combines an installfest with:
- how to install your own linux system (what distros, how to test, etc)
- seminars on "how to choose a distribution" or "the truth about the GPL"
- introduction lessons on how to tackle tricky install issues such as
partitions
- basic sessions on entry-level Linux admin (users, files, printers,
backups)
- tips on how to integrate Linux into an existing Windows installation
(Wine, Samba, etc)
- OpenOffice training
- information on the problem with DRM and most applications of "trusted
computing"
(These are just examples, but you get the idea...)

Look at what's happening elsewhere. In Ottawa and Montréal, there have
been successful new-user events that have followed similar tracks -- not
depending on a single attraction but having a series of events.

Our Québecois friends are planning an event, the Quebec Free Information
Week (SQIL), the week of November 12-20, that has been successful in its
last two years. I have been approached to see if there is interest in
spreading the idea (of FOSS events that week) to other Canadian cities.
(http://sqil.info/)

Perhaps GTALUG would like to consider doing something at the same time.
So long at the location is reasonably accessible by car and transit, I
suggest it doesn't have to be totally central. But I think location is
secondary to content -- give people a reason to come before you even
talk about how they'll get there.

- Evan