Printing text, image, text, image, ...

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 24 21:48:27 UTC 2006

William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 11:46:06AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 07:05:48PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> > > Is there a way (say, short script) to print 20 lines of text, then
> > > small image, then 20 lines of text, then image, ... ?
> >
> > Besides using a web browser by making it html?
> >
> > Probably possible with tetex, or openoffice, or you could generate some
> > postscript with a perl script or something.
>
> In fact, someone suggested the same on <comp.os.linux.misc>.  I totally
> forgot about HTML.  I was thinking LaTeX, but I wasn't sure whether
> 200MB TeX would be installed on target machine, which this whole thing
> is supposed to run.
>
> Then again, HTML requires browser...  I'll look into generating
> Postscript directly.  That would be the cleanest solution.

Depending on your definition of "clean". PS requires you to position text
(and images) explicitly. Consequently, you'll have to write PS routines to
fill your 20 lines of text and you may need to provide your PS program with
some details of the output device. There are examples of doing this kind of
thing in the PostScript Cookbook (also known as the blue book) which, IIRC,
is available on-line from Adobe.

Simpler would be to use groff which is likely to be installed on the target
machine.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada