Laptop friendly Linux distros

Wed Jun 21 15:03:37 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 10:47:56AM -0400, teddy mills wrote:

>I have no problem with running Linux on desktops because there are few
>thermal issues.
>I do have a problem with running Linux on laptops, because I do not know
>what to look for to get the proper thermal support.
>I mean it has to be more than APIC thermal/fan level control?
>
>Most Linux distros I have seen,  almost never turns on a laptop cpu fan
>at random times, no matter how hot the laptop is getting
>Can you recommend a distro that I can safely run on a laptop? Thank you
>in advance!

I would think that it is not so much a distro issue as it is laptop
compatibility issue, with a side order of configured-out-of-the-box ease
of use.

I have heard that Ubuntu and its variants are quite good, but I have no
personal experience with it|them.  I run Debian on my Thinkpad 600X, and
I have found it excellent.  It is an older laptop, and so I run apm
rather than ACPI, but it seems to do a fine job - but it's an older
laptop, so I may not actually encounter thermal issues.  What I can say
is that the battery lasts six times longer under Linux than it did on
Windoze, when I was dual-booting it.

These days there are a large number of distros that come with live CD
counterparts - run them as a live CD and test.
--

yours,

William