The "new" news service at Sympatico

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 13 23:29:26 UTC 2006

On 13 Jun 2006 at 13:27, Mel Wilson spaketh these wourdes:

> Scott Allen wrote:
> > On Tue Jun 13,2006 06:13:55 AM Paul King wrote:
> >> I was just wondering if anyone who is on Sympatico heard about
> >> them using a new news-hosting service.
> [ ... ]
> >> Does it suck as much as the original Sympatico service did?
> > What sucked about it? I never had a problem. However, I just pull all
> > the latest articles, daily, from the groups I read, to a local spool. I
> > then read offline when I have the time.
>
> "Sucked" is kind of extreme.  Completeness was spotty, both

I think it is entirely appropriate. For the 4-part FAQ I posted, completeness
was 100% lousy, and the newsgroup was spam-riddled, comparing with a German
freenet server I used to use out of desparation (until it became a commercial
service), there was no attempt to so much as lift a finger to manage the
USENET server. The newsgroup sympatico.highspeed was full of people who
complained and equally full of Sympatico Tech Support people who evaded
questions and obfuscated what everyone could obviously see was the case: that
Sympatico had no intention of managing USENET, and didn't care what anyone
thought.

Ever post an article to news.answers? Now, you can't just do it off the bat,
because it is moderated by people at rtfm.mit.edu. FAQs posted to news.answers
span all newsgroups, and to get your FAQ posted to news.answers, it has to be
approved at rtfm. I got mine approved at rtfm.

FAQs approved at rtfm, even multipart ones, would meet or exceed standards set by
any USENET site. Most USENET site admins would find it unthinkable to NOT include
the collection of FAQs posted to news.answers. However, Sympatico seems to think
that omitting several parts of multipart TEXT postings to news.answers is an OK
thing to do. By extension then, they also get omitted when posting them to the
newsgroups they were written for. Of the four parts of my FAQ I have written only
one ever makes it through to Sympatico -- the part where I list the changes and
additions. That is, the entire rest of the FAQ -- or really, the FAQ itself -- is
missing. When I logged on to the German freenet server, they are all there.

I have given up complaining to them, and I have been told they were "looking into
it". They have been telling everyone that ever since they got into the business
over 10 years ago. In retrospect, they were probably saying that because they
were too polite to tell their customers to stop hounding them.

> for posts and groups (it didn't carry comp.risks, for
> example.)  Reading on-line you could find the server going
> cataleptic for the odd few minutes, every once in a while.

All USENET servers will miss entire newsgroups (nobody wants to carry groups that
no one reads), and they will add them if you ask. But if you ever comapred
Sympatico with even the cheapest server out there (such as  the Free servers I
used), Sympatico's completion WITHIN newsgroups was pathetic even compared with a
free server! Not only would multipart posts be missing but scores of single-posts
also. In its place was a huge amount of spam that were nearly absent on the
freenet server. This can only be partially explained off in terms of the nature
of message propagation in a USENET system. But I have noticed that this is a
problem not only for sci.bio.food-science (my NG), but really all established
newsgroups in the "Big 7" that I have seen.

> Worst is the new basic service doesn't allow posting.  I
> have an email in asking what the extended service costs,
> before I click "activate", but I've got no answer yet.

Just check the bell newshosting site:
   https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/newssignup/signup/?r=91809
for a price structure.

Warning: the only news reader they recommend is Outlook Express. The free service
failed on my copies of Agent and PAN.

Regards

Paul King