Projector required

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 13 20:36:13 UTC 2006

On 6/13/06, Jason Spiro <jasonspiro-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 6/13/06, Robert Brockway <rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Hi all.  The TLUG meeting is tonight[1].  We need a projector to be
> > brought along.  Is anyone able to bring one this evening?[2].
>
> I do not own a projector, and I do not know anything about TLUG's
> funding situation, but I am just curious: Are there places which rent
> out projectors for a small fee? What if TLUG were to rent a projector?
> Or perhaps some place that normally rents them would lend one for free
> as a way of sponsoring TLUG?

I have usually been able to borrow one from the office; being "on
call" this week meant I needed some backup (in case my phone goes off,
and I disappear in the middle of the meeting).  I've been able to find
that, so we do have a projector for today.

In the larger situation, there's always a bit of a challenge in terms
of how the projector will get from [some place where it was] to
[wherever it is to be used] and back.

If GTALUG owned a projector, that would change the issues a little
less than people might imagine it would.

There would be an "up side"; a modern projector would both offer
better resolution and smaller size/better portability than the
monstrosity I have been periodically carting around.  (Next time I
present, I will NOT be carting both a laptop and the projector around
on foot...  That part was distinctly unpleasant.)

But there would still be the issue of getting it, on a monthly basis,
from whereever it gets stowed to the meeting...

In any case, there will be a projector unless some kind of disaster
strikes in the next hour...
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.