LVM: pvmove weird behaviour... is it normal?

Paul Mora paulmora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 12 20:12:58 UTC 2006

Hello.

Thanks to those people that replied to my note.  I got things working;
here's what I did.

1. Booted from the FC5 DVD into rescue mode.  Elected NOT to mount any
filesystems.
2. Ran "pvmove --abort"
3. Reboot, select single user mode at the GRUB prompt.

That got me back up without the unresponsive hang.  I then tried doing
pvmove but by individual LVs (like Len suggested above), and that
worked like a charm.  When I only had 2 LVs left, I tried the "move
everything" pvmove, and it hung again.  I repeated the above
procedures, then migrated the LVs individually.

Once the allocated PEs were all off the drive, I removed it from the
VG using vgreduce.  Then I shut down the machine, removed the old
drive, put the new one as hda (master IDE on primary controller), and
booted from the FC5 DVD in rescue.  The partitions were all mounted
properly, then did the "chroot /mnt/sysimage", and "grub-install
/dev/hda".  A reboot later, and the machine was back up and running.

Weird how the pvmove doesn't deal with a mass move very well; it seems
to like doing it by individual LVs... I wonder why...

pm