LVM: pvmove weird behaviour... is it normal?

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 12 17:25:11 UTC 2006

On Monday 12 June 2006 12:47, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> If a pvmove fails, you have to restore the LVM to a known good config
> before pvmove will run again it seems.  I managed to botch this myself a
> while ago.  The lvmrestore command allowed me to restore to a backed up
> config (I copied the backup config that looked like it was from before
> the pvmove in place, and ran the restore command).  I had to modify the
> lvm script to NOT active any LVMs at boot, but to have the tools run
> directly on the block devices.  Until then, nothing worked.  After the
> restore, I put it back, my LVMs came back up, and the next pvmove
> command worked perfectly first time without making the system slow an
> unresponsive or anything.  I still don't know what went wrong the first
> time, other than perhaps doing it while the raid was still syncing the
> new raid1 volume was the problem.  My second attempt I moved one LV at a
> time off the old PV rather than moving everything.

In this situation, the CentOS Live CD can be extremely useful.
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=03432#0

It has an LVM graphical tool that greatly eases LVM volume manipulation.

From the release announcement, it also has:

--snip--

Read / write access to XFS, JFS, ext3, ext2, NTFS, reiserfs.
LVM2 graphical tool
GNU Parted <http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/> CLI partition tool
QtParted <http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/> GUI partition tool
PartImage <http://www.partimage.org/> partition imager
EVMS <http://evms.sourceforge.net/> Enterprise volume management
smb4K <http://smb4k.berlios.de/> GUI SMB tool
ClamAV <http://www.clamav.net/> for virus scanning
chkrootkit <http://www.chkrootkit.org/> for finding potential root kits
MemTest86+ <http://www.memtest.org/> memory tester
System Log Viewer

--snip--

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca
On-Site Computer Services - Available 24/7