Help, I need a working boa.conf file

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 8 10:18:52 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 10:03:19PM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote

> Sorry for not cleaning out the clutter, but I just finished a 17 hour
> day... This is my (relevant) stuff for TLE-BU which uses a very slightly
> modified Boa web server. You should be able to dig out the relevant
> stuff but if not ask me and I will give you a cleaner version tomorrow
> or Friday.
>
> I added a bunch of comments in the 'tb_httpd.conf' (boa.conf) file which
> should help (I hope).

  Thank you very much for your help.

  There's a /etc/init.d/boa script installed as part of the boa ebuild
in Gentoo.  But it doesn't handle multiple instances of boa.  I'm
willing to allow my backup machine to look at /usr/portage/distfiles,
but if I ever run a public webserver, I'll want a different config, on
a different port.

  Your commented boa.conf got me connected via links and w3m to the
"server" machine which allowed me to do the final debugging.  This is
part of trying to be "kinder and gentler" to the Gentoo mirrors by
attempting to use my main machine as the "Gentoo mirror" for my backup
machine.

  The final adjustment was "Alias".  Gentoo's emerge command always
looks in the "distfiles" folder  below whatever URL it's given for a
mirror.  E.g. if I specify "http://www.bad.example.com" as the mirror
to use, it'll look in "http://www.bad.example.com/distfiles".  The
secondary machine's /etc/make.conf has the line...

GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://192.168.123.252:1024 ftp://ftp.ndlug.nd.edu/pub/gentoo/ http://mirror.datapipe.net/gentoo"

so it'll try my main machine (192.168.123.252 on port 1024) first.  I
invoke the portage server dedicated boa with the command...
boa -c /root/.boa/portage/
which implies that the config file to use is /root/.boa/portage/boa.conf

My /root/.boa/portage/boa.conf currently looks like so...

Port 1024
Listen 192.168.123.252
User nobody
Group nogroup
ErrorLog /var/log/boa/portage/error_log
AccessLog /var/log/boa/portage/access_log
DocumentRoot /usr/portage/distfiles/
UseLocaltime
DirectoryMaker /usr/lib/boa/boa_indexer
KeepAliveMax 1000