Smalltalk Club

Yanni Chiu yanni-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 3 19:28:24 UTC 2006

Chris Cunnington wrote:
> Meeting once every six months, as the TSUG does, does not suit my learning
> needs. I need to talk to other people about the language.

For the last few years, the Smalltalk community has not had
to deal with newcomers. TSUG meetings, have lately been
"preaching to the converted", and most attendees already
know Smalltalk. It's entirely understandable that TSUG (as it
now functions) is not the right venue for you. I would think
that most Smalltalkers would regard your enthusiasm as a good
sign that there's a growing groundswell of interest in Smalltalk,
especially with technology like Seaside and Croquet now emerging.

Learning Smalltalk, when you're already a programmer who uses other
languages, can be a challenge, because edit/compile of files
just doesn't happen, when coding Smalltalk. A few hours working
with, or looking over the shoulder, of a Smalltalker can go a
long way toward breaking free of pre-conceived ideas about
programming, which hinder the learning of Smalltalk. For those
without a mentor/tutor, then IMO a somewhat poor substitute is the
Java Eclipse environment. The reason is that many Smalltalkers have
had a hand in designing and building it.