Smalltalk Club

Yanni Chiu yanni-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 3 15:39:14 UTC 2006

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Chris Cunnington wrote:
>
>> Although Debian has not included Sqeuak (the Smalltalk virtual
>> machine) in its distro yet,
>>
> Yet? Has Debian made any announced intention to change their mind and
> include non-free (as in speech) software? Smalltalk is not open source
> (using the OSI guidelines) or free software (under the GNU guidelines),
> and that situation seems unlikely to change.
>
>> as the licensing details have not been reset from the form Apple made
>> for them in 1996, I'm not going to wait.

Squeak-1.1 is now available under APSL2. Version 1.1 is what Apple
originally released in 1996. Here's the announcement:
     http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-May/104466.html

Apparently, Alan Kay and Andreas Raab (a major Squeak contributor),
met with Steve Jobs a few months back, and then it happened.

Whether or not the "non-lawyers" that decide these matters at Debian
will consisider APSL2 good enough to include, is another question.

Edubuntu, Ubuntu (Dapper) release is supposed to include Squeak.
There was a push back from the education community to get Squeak
included, despite what issues Debian may have with licencing.