Linux-friendly PCI dialup modem?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 30 23:17:27 UTC 2006

Walter Dnes wrote:

>Since I intend to have the machine occasionally update, and it's a
>long run from my den (computer room), I want to use dial-up once the PVR
>machine is up and running.  My options are...
>  a) linux-compatable PCI v90 or v92 modem (preferred)
>  b) a serial-port card plus external modem

c) USB Modem

>The b) option will probably get a bit more speed, but more expense and more cables in my living room, no thanks.

USB modems usually get their power from the host, so there's only one
cable coming out of the PC, and that morphs into the phone cord. Plus,
you don't have to rip open your system (and some small boxes can't spare
the slots).

Not all USB modems work -- some of them are winmodems too, and others
are for DSL -- but models from Creative, USRobotics, ZyXel, CNet and
Multitech should work.

http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/search_res.php?pattern=USB+modem

- Evan