Linux-friendly PCI dialup modem?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 30 22:57:02 UTC 2006

  The setup of my new PVR computer has come to a screeching halt, while
I await delivery of a replacement for my dead ADSL modem.  I did manage
to do 80 megs of downloads for an update on my main machine.  It was
over 4 hours at 5.5 kbytes/sec net.  I considered doing something
similar on the PVR machine... until I discovered that it didn't have
serial ports... oops.  I had been so focussed on a motherboard with a
video chipset that had hardware accleration support in linux, I had
forgotten about serial ports on my new PVR machine.

  Since I intend to have the machine occasionally update, and it's a
long run from my den (computer room), I want to use dial-up once the PVR
machine is up and running.  My options are...
  a) linux-compatable PCI v90 or v92 modem (preferred)
  b) a serial-port card plus external modem

  The b) option will probably get a bit more speed, but more expense and
more cables in my living room, no thanks.

  So, where can I find linux-compatable PCI modems in the GTA?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca