partition headaches

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 27 14:59:12 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 10:45:41AM -0400, John Van Ostrand wrote:
> What I was getting at was that you can re-order your partitions in fdisk
> manually.  Once you've deleted all the partitions make the NTFS
> partition first followed by the Linux ones. That will make it partition
> 1. Just make sure that the start, end and type match.

The NTFS partition IS first in the partition list, but last on the disk
physically according to the cylinder number.  It is the position on the
disk that is a problem, not the location in the partition table.  Short
of moving partitions around somehow (which means deleting some partition
of the disk to make room), it can't really be done.

If one can somehow figure out how to edit the NTFS partition, then
simply updating the boot.ini file may make the system boot again.

Simplest is to never mess with the position of a windows boot partition
in the first place.

--
Len Sorensen