Women in IT (Aug 3). Online freedom of speech (Aug 5th)

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 26 03:34:53 UTC 2006

Colin McGregor wrote:
> Last week I got an e-mail from the "Social Tech
> Brewing Co." who are running two lectures next week:
>
> - Women in IT (Aug 3).
> - Online freedom of speech (Aug 5th)
>
> Details and how to sign up for the "Women in IT" event
> can be seen at: socialtechbrewing.org . I have
> forwarded info. about this on to all the Toronto area
> women involved in IT that I know, 10 women in all, a
> too short list :-( .
>
> I have signed up for the "Women in IT" event even
> though I am still attempting to work out the question
> "Where is a story here that I can write about (and
> sell :-) )?". We all know women are seriously under
> represented  in a number of science / technology
> fields (not just IT) and saying "Isn't that quite sad,
> something really ought to be done at some point."
> doesn't sound like the sort of story I would want to
> write...

Surely those 10 women have something to say on the matter? It strikes me
that, while your position sounds like it mightn't be the most enviable,
you've already got a great start, having got past the "Isn't that quite
sad, something really ought to be done at some point" point.

You no doubt heard about the stir caused in the Australian press
regarding http://www.itgoddess.info ? Perhaps contacting some of those
women involved would provide good material and also let them get some
(more?) press outside Australia? Controversy sells, so turn that frown
upside down :)

Jamon