New USB device is what?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 23 20:29:21 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 11:26:12AM -0400, Merv Curley wrote:
> I know this has been covered over and over but I can't find it in the past
> messages.
>
> My new usb MP3 player is recognised by the kernel in both SuSE 10.1 and
> Kanotix.  However neither gives at hint as to the device I should use to
> mount this unit.
>
> I think the info maybe hidden somewhere in /proc but that is a mysterious
> place for me to navigate.
>
> As far as I know, my new IRiver has been converted to UMF format,  if it isn't
> formatted would that be the reason it isn't fully recognised?
>
> Seems I forget as much as I am learning these days.

if it is switched to the usb storage type interface, then you should be
able to simply mount it as a disk, usually it should be either /dev/sda
or /dev/sda1 (depending on if it has partitions or not).  The driver is
'usb-storage' along with sd-mod (mod-sd?) and such.

If it is not in the usb storage setting., then it realy won't work at
all, you will just see it detecting an unknown usb device.

What does 'lsusb' show?

--
Len Sorensen