New USB device is what?

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 24 00:48:33 UTC 2006

.

> > As far as I know, my new IRiver has been converted to UMF format,  if it
> > isn't formatted would that be the reason it isn't fully recognised?
> >
> > Seems I forget as much as I am learning these days.
>
> if it is switched to the usb storage type interface, then you should be
> able to simply mount it as a disk, usually it should be either /dev/sda
> or /dev/sda1 (depending on if it has partitions or not).  The driver is
> 'usb-storage' along with sd-mod (mod-sd?) and such.
>
> If it is not in the usb storage setting., then it realy won't work at
> all, you will just see it detecting an unknown usb device.
>
> What does 'lsusb' show?
>
> --
Well I won't have to ask again,  your answers are all written out in several
places.

Now for the red-face comment -

After I posted the message I decided to recheck the unit and I learned that
you can find about the driver that is installed.  Me and my buddy failed in
our attempts to change it to UMF so now to go back to his computer and try
again.  Explains why it isn't recognised as more than a USB device.  SuSE
reported the Make, Model and much more than Kanotix did.

Thanks all

--
Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont. Can