[OT] Aaargggh! FLOSS project in need!

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 23 18:09:06 UTC 2006

Scott Elcomb wrote:
> I logged into /. today to submit an article about Atomic OS.  After
> browsing through the headlines a bit, I got down to the business of
> writing my story.  I submitted it, and went back to the headlines and
> discovered a story about YouOS from MIT Labs.
>
> Their article was posted while I was writing mine.
>
> They have done many of the items that I've been working towards and
> are now well ahead of me.
>
> If there are any in the community that might want to help (analysis of
> differences, coding, graphics help) please let me know, or join the
> mailing list(s) at http://atomos.sourceforge.net/
>
> Sorry for the rant, but I've been working on this for a long time - I
> simply can't believe what I'm seeing.

I've been working on my backup program for over two years now... I am
always worried that someone or some company would release something
similar, completely invaliding all my work. So far, there have been a
couple apps released that are quite similar, and I've had a few "OMG!"
moments, too.

My only suggestion is this; When something like this happens you have a
couple of options. One is look to see if the work you've done
compliments the bigger app and see if you can merge your code into
theirs. Not ideal, but at least you won't lose all your work.

The second option, which is the option I've (so far) opted for, is too
find aspects of your program that are different enough to appeal to a
different group of people and shift the focus of your program to that
group, so that you don't step on each other's toes so much.

It's not much, by I hope it helps.

Madison