Doing a Linux MASS install.

Paul van Fraassen paul-s7S4Dk53uTw at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 20 21:52:26 UTC 2006

On 7/20/06, Daniel Armstrong <dwarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 7/20/06, Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > So, I gather that Ubuntu has a tool for doing mass
> > copy of a tailored distro. onto multiple hard drives,
> > has anyone tried the tool? Are these tools available
> > in other Linux distros (i.e.: ones that are friendlier
> > to KDE than Ubuntu :-) )? How well does this work when
> > the hard drives differ in size? Would there be anyone
> > interested in doing a MASS (like over 1,000 machines)
> > Linux install some weekend in August for the Toronto
> > Free-Net?
>
> Hi Colin... Providing I am in town that weekend, I am willing to help
> with the mass install.
>
> --
> Daniel Wayne Armstrong
> :: build it yourself biology      http://biohackery.com ::

Hey Colin,
That sounds like a lot of fun so, with a little caveat/slack for the
unexpected (I've kids and a spouse who's a midwife :-) sign me up too!
The talk so far has been on  soft side of "How" but, I've got to ask what
about the "Where" ? Do you have a place lined up with all the table-space,
outlets and whatnot let alone the Ethernet hubs/switch and wire?
We can probably stone-soup a lot of it but I think it's worth trying to put
together a list.
Also, I'm not saying it's the right tool for this but has anyone worked with
cfengine?
-Paul van Fraassen aka -pvf