Doing a Linux MASS install.

Meng Cheah meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 20 22:23:04 UTC 2006

Colin McGregor wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I stick my nose in a LOT of things, including GTALUG,
>UU and the Toronto Free-Net.
>
>This past week the Toronto Free-Net got a donation of
>approx. 2,000 computers, about 90% of which are Dell
>Optiplex GX1 machines (Pentium II, 400 MHz) boxes.
>This of course means a challenge, the machines need to
>be made function,

On the same weekend as the install?

>get a Linux (or other free OS)
>install and get pushed out the door to people who
>could use these machines :-) .

Who are the intended users? Is there a possibility that they be given a
Live CD with which they can install the OS themselves?

> Oh, and the machines
>need to be gone from where they are now by September
>1, 2006 (no time pressure :-) ).

The logistics (space, facilities, equipment, network, power,
organization, etc...), the challenge :-)

>Would there be anyone
>interested in doing a MASS (like over 1,000 machines)
>Linux install some weekend in August for the Toronto
>Free-Net?

Tentatively, count me in.
I will confirm when the weekend is chosen.

Meng Cheah