Should I keep my $HOME in CVS?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 18 23:05:22 UTC 2006

On 7/18/06, Jason Spiro <jasonspiro4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Should I keep my home directory (or at least certain subdirectories of
> it) in version control? Perhaps I could figure out a way to keep
> certain file types only, or only small directories, in VC, or I could
> set up automatic aging-out for old large files.
>
> But, would the effort be worth it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jason

Your name starts with a "J", and the guy who is most keen on this is
"Joey," so perhaps...

<http://www.kitenet.net/~joey/svnhome.html>

Joey Hess used to use CVS; now uses Subversion.

See also <http://toykeeper.net/tutorials/svnhome/>

It would also be worth looking at other SCM systems; I have moved my
web stuff into a Darcs repository, and have been very happy with that
change (I formerly used CVS).  The "downside" of Darcs is that it has
a hard time scaling to extraordinary numbers of patches, but it's only
ferociously patched things like Linux (e.g. - the kernel) that are
trouble there...
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.