m$ to Google: do not dare take away from us what isn't ours

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 15 17:05:53 UTC 2006

Brandon Sandrowicz wrote:

> Is it any wonder that you get anti-competitive statements coming out
> of the guy they got from Walmart?  It's like he's inviting another
> anti-trust trial, "We won't allow anyone to challenge us.  We are the
> only ones allowed to have enterprise search."  I think he also wins
> the drama queen award for the "take food off our plate" analogy.
> It's not like Microsoft will die on the vine if they lose enterprise
> search, or (god forbid) have to *share* the space with another
> competitor or two.

It's interesting to see MS switch their "mortal enemy" focus from Linux
to Google. Does this mean that they believe their battles with open
source to be:
1) Won (so let's move on to the next victim)
2) Unwinable (so the shift to Google is a diversion and/or softer target)
3) A long term battle of attrition (so a new rallying point is needed
for partners and shareholders with ADD)

- Evan