CDRW: cdrecord: No disk / Wrong disk!

Jason Spiro jasonspiro4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 14 01:13:44 UTC 2006

On 7/13/06, Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 13 July 2006 02:31, Jason Spiro wrote:
> > On 7/12/06, Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > > Let me know please anyone had a similar problem, or, better, just the
> > > solution ;)
>
> That was mine idea: if anybody had a similar problem and was able to solve it
> - let them report.
Hmm. I wonder if it would be practical to start up an Error Message
Wiki where people could post error messages they have encountered and
the steps they took to solve the error message...

> > Did you try using different software (e.g. cdrdao) or a different OS
> > (e.g. Windows or Ubuntu LiveCD)? Does CD burning work from there?
>
> As I wrote, except of cdrecord, I did try to use cdrskin on Linux. After your
> suggestion I was eager to try something else, cdrdao, which installed (from
> compilation) without problems. All these 3 programs behave in a similar way:
> they recognize the drive, its version, but complain that there is no CD
> inside. While a writable CD is obviously there (and I try two blank CD of two
> different companies, both types I was able to use in the past on different
> Linux machines).
>
> Yes, I did try right now on Windows XP as well, after installing a free CD
> burner, CDBurnerXPPro 3. It does recognize the CD drive properly (knows its
> version) but.. also complains that there is no CD inside ;(
>
> Hence, very likely a sort of hardware problem? But I do not need to add that
> reading CDs works fine?

You may have to try calling the store where you bought the burner or
the manufacturer's technical support line and telling them there's a
problem with burning CDs in WinXP. Of course, they probably will
exchange the drive if it's defective.

> P.s.: To these who know me on this list and perhaps read this: I got a new
> job, a good one! In.. Pickring. I moved already there. Thats why I was able
> to spend 40 $ on a new CD burner ;)))
You could always look for a different burner from the freecycle
toronto mailing list... :) Email freecycleto-subscribe-hHKSG33TihhbjbujkaE4pw at public.gmane.org
to join, or search the list archives online at
groups.yahoo.com/group/freecycleto if I recall correctly.

> The case itsels is interesting. I am
> doing moving from Windows servers to Linux(!) The company owner is a very
> bright person and uses (occasionally rather) Linux as well, and plans to move
> entire company operations to Linux. My work is a sort of programming of web
> site (HTML, JavaScript, a quite advanced one, rather) combined with Linux
> servers administration, with programming on the server side (PHP + JSP), and
> simply learning a lot of new things. In particular Postgres (my idea, though
> it would be easier to me to use MySQL) but also how the maps displayed on the
> web (Google Maps, for instance) are produced. The company deals with maps on
> the web and an expanding though far from saturation market related to the use
> of maps on the web.

Sounds fun. Too bad you have to work with JSP though. :)

--
Jason Spiro: computer consulting with a smile.
I also do computer training and spyware removal for homes and businesses.