Looking for a *QUIET* computer

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 12 23:26:55 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 12:39:53AM -0400, ted leslie wrote

> >   I intend to get well beyond the minimum.  A large harddrive is also
> > nice.  I can pick up 5 local and 1 Buffalo HDTV stations broadcasting
> > over the air on a digital tuner hooked up to my regular TV set.  The
>
> Over the air as  antenna on the roof? or free on cable?

  Over the air, as *OUTDOOR ANTENNA IN THE LIVING ROOM* (plus a pre-amp)

> were do you live that your getting this?

  On the 5th storey of a condo, with a southerly exposure in Thornhill,
near Promenade Mall.  Actually, I was hoping to get more Buffalo
stations.  But a 16-storey condo was put up last year in direct line of
site between me and the antenna farms in Grand Island where the Buffalo
stations have their transmitters :(   The fact that I'm getting PBS
43-1/43-2/43-3 is a weird fluke.  In addition, I get local digital
stations CBC English, CBC French, CTV, CITY, and Sun TV.

  For now, I've lashed up a second-hand digital TV tuner to the S-video
input of my old regular 19" portable TV.  Even for standard stuff on a
regular monitor, digital broadcast is nice.  *NO GHOSTING AT ALL*.  With
real digital broadcasts it's stunning, but I get the edges chopped off.
I've already gotten a new sofa for the living room, and am on the prowl
for a real HDTV.  A 37" monitor (no tuner) is available for under $2000.
The max that I want in my living cramped room is approx 42".  They're
currently $2500 to $3000.  They should be under $2000 in a few months.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca