Looking for a *QUIET* computer

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 12 04:53:02 UTC 2006

Walter Dnes wrote:
> The computer I'm looking for will have to be *QUIET*, including the
> hard drive.  I intend to use it as a tape-delay for recording movies
> that air at 3:00 AM, etc.  The living room is next to my bedroom, and
> they share a common air duct, so noise would travel.

I strongly suggest you check out http://www.silentpcreview.com/
I used it when shopping for my own quiet PC.

I ended up buying an Antec Sonata II case and Barracuda HD. (Ie, a video
card that doesn't need its own fan.) You can essentially pick any
motherboard that will fit in the case, and the choice is huge. So you
can pick your choice of slots, as well as your preference of AMD or Intel.

There is a tradeoff of noise versus size. The smallest PCs need to use
little fans, and little fans run noisier than large ones (generally
because they need to turn faster).

HTH.

- Evan