Looking for a *QUIET* computer

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 12 14:36:15 UTC 2006

On 7/11/06, Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>   The computer I'm looking for will have to be *QUIET*, including the
> hard drive.

* Buy a regular computer.

* Pay special attention to the drive and any other moving parts.
Maybe specific brands are better than others.

* Consider http://www.quietpc.ca and http://www.quietpcusa.com for
quiet parts, if you like spending the money.

* The only special part I bought is an Antec Sonata:
http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=15138

My (in)complete parts list is here:
http://jrandomhacker.info/Sy%27s_parts_list#System_3 and the Sonata is
the only special part.  In a dead silent room, my computer can just
barely be heard.. the moving air from the fans.  With any level of
noise in the room it cannot be heard.

Mounting the hard drives in the special mounts which came with the
case made a difference, but if you get lower speed drives or the right
brand/model it could make a difference.

Aside from some decent fans and a case, you could get silentdrive
enclosures for the hard drive(s) and be done with it.  Or maybe put
the hard drives in a file server in another room and use a network
connection to get at all of that.  Heck, you could be totally diskless
if you set the system up that way.

My various old quiet computing list has some resources at the bottom
which may be of help for things like fans or enclosures:
http://jrandomhacker.info/Quiet_computing

You could go with watercooling -- for the cpu, chipset, video card,
power supply.. everything.. but I think that's overkill.  =)