Looking for a *QUIET* computer

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 12 13:23:49 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 09:23:24PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   I've ordered a pcHDTV 5500 card that will pick up regular NTSC as well
> as digital (ATSC) TV.  The web site is http://pchdtv.com/ and they have
> *ONLY* linux drivers.  According to their FAQ...
> Q: Is there a windows version of the drivers?
> A: Not at this time.
> (1... 2... 3... awwwwwwwwwwwww<g>)
>
>   The computer I'm looking for will have to be *QUIET*, including the
> hard drive.  I intend to use it as a tape-delay for recording movies
> that air at 3:00 AM, etc.  The living room is next to my bedroom, and
> they share a common air duct, so noise would travel.
>
>   The hardware requirements are...
>   - *MUST HAVE* at least one PCI 2.2 slot (5 volts).
>   - 128 megs of ram
>   - 1.2 ghz Intel Pentium, or an AMD
>
>   I intend to get well beyond the minimum.  A large harddrive is also
> nice.  I can pick up 5 local and 1 Buffalo HDTV stations broadcasting
> over the air on a digital tuner hooked up to my regular TV set.  The
> bandwidth for high-definition is huge compared to ordinary NTSC TV.
> Even when output via a regular 19" TV, the high-def picture is stunning.
>
>   Any recommendations here for a computer?  I'm looking for a complete
> system.  Advice on the pchdtv forum leans towards
>   - Nvidia FX 5200 video card (quiet and cheap)
>   - overkill power supply (quiet when a 450 watt supply is only pushing
>     out 250 watts)
>   - Barracuda drives (quiet)

You haven't met the original barracudas then. :)

>   - A few extra slots would be nice

Well here is what I am currently using for mythtv:
A7N8X-E-DX mainboard (5 PCI 5v slots)
Athlon XP 1700+ (1.4GHz)
1GB ram (anything to make the system run smooth).
cpu cooler with 80mm fan at about 2000rpm.
silverstone LC16M case with silverstone 400W power supply with 120mm fan.
A pair of WD1200JD drives.

My work desktop machine is almost the same:
A7N8X-E-DX
Athlon 2500+
1GB ram
enermax case with 350W power supply
one WD1200JD drive.

The only way I can tell it is on is by looking at the power light or
sticking my head right next to it to hear if the fans are spinning.  I
can hear the computers of other people in the office over mine.

Every machine I have put the WD sata drives into, I haven't been able to
hear the hard drive in.  They are amazingly quiet in my experience, and
quite reliable too.  The only noise sources I have had to deal with were
power supplies in the past, and cpu coolers with too high speed fans.  I
suppose a bad case fan could be noisy too.

Len Sorensen