Hostname issues

Kihara Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 1 09:59:06 UTC 2006

Hi all,

 I have been surprised by how easy one can break a Fedora/ Red Hat system by
only changing the host name. This is easily to replicate as I have done it
three times on a Red Hat system.
 After changing the host name (#hostname xyz), they system immediately hangs
and one can't even start a new terminal. Rebooting don't help. It does
improve things a bit when I manually change names in as many files as I
could find - /etc/hosts, /etc/sysconfig/network*, etc – but it never get
back to its previous performance in my opinion. Is there any saner way of
executing such a trivia work? What could be the reason for "hostname" script
to be that hopelessly useless?

Thank you in advance

William