whois

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 27 16:46:41 UTC 2006

Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> Here's what we're trying to ape^H^H^Happroximate:
>
> http://www.senderbase.org/
> http://www.trustedsource.org/
>
> (particularly the first one).  Any idea how they decide what's the same
> "network" or "ISP"?

By domain I expect they're just chopping off whatever@ from the email
address.

By address it doesn't look like they're doing anything special.  For
example the IP address 58.20.176.24 is currently showing, they show
neither "Host" or "Network Owner".  So ...

* host is a simple DNS based reverse lookup
* network owner is a simple whois, very simple because I can do better
   with Debian's whois ...

~$ whois 58.20.176.24
% [whois.apnic.net node-1]
% Whois data copyright terms    http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

   inetnum:      58.20.0.0 - 58.20.255.255
   netname:      CNCGROUP-HN
   descr:        CNC Group HuNan province network
   descr:        China Network Communications Group Corporation
   descr:        No.156,Fu-Xing-Men-Nei Street,
   descr:        Beijing 100031