[OT] Old sendmail versions (8.6.0 in particular)

Byron Sonne blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 27 07:14:21 UTC 2006

> There is NO 8.6.* patch for CA-96.20.  8.6 is not supported, not secure,
> and should not be run on any network-connected machine.

Oh, there's 8.6 machines out there... but I think running a Sun-ified
version of sendmail, so perhaps not quite the same thing :) Let's hope
not the same thing!

I came across that .obsolete directory too; bummed out as it seemed like
a really good hit.

> If you have a very good reason for needing that old junk, maybe someone
> at berkeley can help.

It's work related - we do a thorough job, and that means tracking down
god-awful old versions of software frequently. Makes for a good dose of
nostalgia too - like the good old days, when you tweaked makefiles and
headers manually, piped files to m4... until ./configure scripts came
and made us all lazy :)

Cheers,