[OT] Old sendmail versions (8.6.0 in particular)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 26 14:20:40 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 06:52:06PM -0500, Byron Sonne wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I'm having a hell of a time tracking down the source for Sendmail 8.6.0.
> I've tried the sendmail.org ftp site, a billion other ftp sites, and ftp
> search engines. I've googled for it, no luck.
>
> I believe the file I'm looking for is called sendmail.8.6.0.tgz (or
> maybe sendmail.8.6.tgz). Does anyone have a copy that they could provide
> me with? I'd greatly appreciate it.
>
> Any other ancient versions before that (8.5, 8.4 branches, etc.) would
> be greatly appreciated too.

It looks like the old archives at berkeley only contain 8.7 and newer,
along with a note about how 8.6.x should not be run on any network
connected computer in the world.  Seems like good reasons not to even
keep the sources publicly available.  They have a .obsolete directory,
but it is not public access.

The note is:
There is NO 8.6.* patch for CA-96.20.  8.6 is not supported, not secure,
and should not be run on any network-connected machine.

Seems like good cause to remove it from the server.

If you have a very good reason for needing that old junk, maybe someone
at berkeley can help.

Len Sorensen