whois

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 26 14:03:55 UTC 2006

Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> Lennart> I also VERY much hope it stays this way.  Many problems have
> Lennart> been caused by people trying to automatically harvest contact
> Lennart> info from whois to spam people.  The harder that is to
> Lennart> automate, the better.
>
> Unfortunately, that's exactly what I am supposed to do, for a
> legitimate purpose (part of which is _fighting spam_, in fact).

I did something similar a few years ago.  A perl filter in my .procmailrc:

* check if it's a virus with clamav
* if virus read all of the received headers
* step through received headers in reverse order finding first
   legitimate looking mail relay (i.e. routeable IP)
* do PTR lookups on mail relays until one with valid DNS shows up
* verify that an MX record exists for found domain
* chop of leading parts of domain until left with domain that has a
   valid MX record
* email abuse at domain informing them that someone on their network is
   sending viruses and giving them a copy of all the original email
   headers

I would love to have relied on whois but I saw 2 problems with it.  The
one you're talking about (lack of consistency in data) and also the fact
that a lot of ISPs do show who specific subnets are delegated to ...