[OT] Lowcost cellphone plans

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 24 18:53:44 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 06:08:19PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   I'm somewhat of a luddite with respect to cellphones, but even I admit
> that there are occasions when they come in handy.  I don't expect to use
> it that often.  I'm looking for POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service), so
> I'm willing to do without tons of "features".
>
>   In *MY* case, the best plans are the low monthly fee with a high
> air-minute fee model.  The Virgin Mobile "Minute 2 Minute" plan as
> described at...
> http://www.virginmobile.ca/site/en/pricesAndFeatures/html/pricesAndFeatures.html
> best suits my needs, of the ones I've Googled so far.  Is there a web
> site somewhere that compares plans?  Any better plans anywhere?
>
>   At the risk of drifting onto topic for this list, are there any
> cellphones *WITHOUT* an OS?  I don't care whether it's Palm or Symbian
> or Windows or Linux, any OS will present some vulnerabilities.

No clue what OS my phone has.  It does not have a camera, bluetooth, IR,
or anything else other than cell phone access.  I can download stuff if
I want to, but I would have to actually do that.  I supports JAVA so I
suppose I could download stuff, but since the java thing appears to be
exlusively a little interactive box, it can't talk to the phonebook,
mms, or anything else as far as I know, then it seems quite safe.

I just wanted a phone with a clear screen, nice buttons, good battery
life, and no camera or other crap.

Len Sorensen