Jan 24th. NewTLUG meeting: Personal Information Managers - "Taming the TODO"

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 20 23:43:15 UTC 2006

On 1/20/06, Sacha Chua <sacha-ctE++fEYmiYdc6zLPptBHg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Sy Ali <sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > I think the biggest problem I've faced with using a technology to be
> > more productive is that it has been an impossibly intimidating thing
> > for me to figure out just *how* to use the tools to make myself
> > productive.
>
> The trick is not to become incredibly more productive all in one go.
> It's much easier and more effective to tweak things just a little at a
> time, giving yourself enough time to get used to things. The personal
> information manager I use is insanely flexible and I've got a really
> funky config for it, but I didn't figure everything out at the start.
> I just put in the basics, then figured out little things that made me
> happier. =) Slowing down change also saved me from the temptation to
> just keep tweaking my system. ;)

I've heard this before.. it's a good philosophy.  I think it must also
apply to all sorts of other things.. I've had the misfortune of just
jumping into things and then getting confused at how to make the best
use of myself.

I guess really flexible systems would profit from having a couple of
sane default templates/methods/interfaces to give to beginners and
then as they grow into things they tweak as they go.